Jul 31, 2010

Taiwan: Chinese Language Class

OK.  Mandarin is hard.  Really hard.  Seemingly impenetrable.  But our teacher was great, and two of my fellow participants were practically my own private tutors.












The teacher, Glory Wang, listening to
individuals singing a Chinese folk song. 
      


What a horrible photographer!  
We'd been learning the names of fruit, and the school brought in the real goods for us to practice.  Here's a shot of a role play--four fruit vendors.  I was happy to be able to say, "that's too expensive" for one of my lines.














This was a common note-taking strategy for us all.  Take pictures of PPT slides and the board.  I took a picture of "chicken" for future reference--just in case I came across the opportunity to buy a chicken charm to improve my luck

How much does..... cost?  This was my "cheat sheet" for the selling-fruit role play. 

"Jill" in Chinese.  ji character = lucky, fortunate (just like the astrologer said).  er = child.  (no comments, please, the etymology of the character is 'child with an imperfect cranium'.  Note the separated head-like element at the top of the character) 





   






   

No comments:

Post a Comment